Monday, November 26, 2012

Our First Thanksgiving as a Family of 3!

 Good day to you all!!  I hope everyone had a smashing Thanksgiving holiday.  This was our first Thanksgiving as a family of three.  I got a little teary eyed thinking about it that morning.

Hogan woke up at 7, so we got up and watched the Macy's Parade while we cuddled on the sofa in our jammies.  After that, I made my side dish that I was in charge of bringing, (recipe below!) we got dressed and ready to go, and headed to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving Dinner...which we usually eat at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  We ate a delicious meal, watched some football, passed Hogan around to everyone and looked through the Black Friday ads to see if there was anything we couldn't live without.

Hogan in his Thanksgiving outfit!

hehehe...I love the little turkey butt!
 We didn't go all Gung-ho on our Black Friday shopping.  We didn't go at 8PM on Thanksgiving or whatever ungodly time they are starting it now...but we got up early and headed into Helena on Friday morning...and guess what...we still got everything on our lists, AND we didn't have to get elbowed in the face, or stand in line for an hour to do it.  There was hardly anybody at the stores when we were there...it. was. awesome. So, we went to 5 stores, and ate breakfast and we were back home within 3 hours of leaving that morning. (The drive to and from Helena is about 45 minutes each way).  Hogan was a trooper.  I just left him in his pajamas since we left pretty early, and I knew we wouldn't be in there for long.  He woke up for a few minutes right after we left but then passed right back out and didn't wake up again until we were almost home.  I thought for sure he would wake up for good when we left, (because he's so nosy) and then be cranky all day (because he won't take naps....since he's apparently afraid he's going to miss something...I wasn't aware that what I do all day is that interesting...but I guess it is to him!) But he was just perfect, as usual!  Then the rest of the day we just hung out around the house, watching movies and munching on left overs.

Saturday Hogan and I went to my mommy group, and went grocery shopping...pretty uneventful.

All in all it was a pretty nice weekend.  What did you do to celebrate the Holiday?

RECIPE:  Cookie Salad (a family fave)

1 SM. pkg Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 tub Cool Whip
1c. Buttermilk
1 Regular can Fruit Cocktail- Drained
1 Small can Mandarin Oranges- Drained
1 Regular can Pineapple Chunks- Drained
1 Package Shortbread Cookies (the ones with the chocolate stripes)- Crushed (set aside one "row"'s worth)

Mix Pudding and Buttermilk until combined. 
Add Cool Whip, fruit and cookies and fold together.
Top with remaining cookies and Serve!  I like to garnish with a cherry and a few mandarin oranges in a little flower shape.

In Strength, Love & Faith, Thanks for Reading, Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment